Sunday, July 19, 2009

Myrtle....my old friend.


va⋅ca⋅tion

[vey-key-shuhn, vuh-]
–noun
1.a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday:Schoolchildren are on vacation now.
2.a part of the year, regularly set aside, when normal activities of law courts, legislatures, etc., are suspended.
3.freedom or release from duty, business, or activity.
4.an act or instance of vacating.

Okay, according to the definition above, I should be suspending work, relaxing, shunning duties, and resting. By that definition, i am NOT on vacation. In fact, I am actually more tired right now, than on a normal week of my life. Why? 'Cause I'm at the beach.....'cause we go to the beach.....thats what we do.

From what I can tell, being born in North Carolina automatically gets you a "Myrytle Beach" stamp in your "Where Will You Go On Vacation" box of my birth certificate. Apparently 87 million other people got that same stamp, cause they came too. Like bugs drawn to that humming blue light on Uncle Ned's porch, people flock to this sandbox called Myrtle Beach.

I used to think it must be because Myrtle was the only beach on the East Coast. Everywhere else the ocean just ran up to a wall or stopped miles from shore and you had to go to South Carolina if you wanted to see the Atlantic ocean. But you know what there are more beaches. LOTS of beaches! Beautiful, uncrowded, less expensive and much cleaner beaches! But we are stamped for Myrtle.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the place personally, I just dont get the vacation appeal. Maybe when I was younger and more carefree, dancing at the Magic Attic, etc, it was more fun. Now I'm chasing a two year old through crowds Wal-mart would be jealous of on black Friday. Goin out to eat? Leave a good hour early cause your gonna be in a line....and if you want something besides McDonald's, you better leave two.

It will all be over in a few days though, and I'll wish I was back here. Or somewhere. Anywhere other than the reality of life back home. Even if it's with 87 million of my closest friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment