Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day


Memorial Day. As nice as vacation days are, I hope we all stop for a minute and think about what we are honoring on this lazy, cookout filled day. While we shop, eat, sleep, or whatever, lets not forget why?

Today we take time to remember those who gave their life to defend and protect our country. To think about those who never came home from a beach with no name, or a forest somewhere in a country that doesn't even exist today, or a jungle in a country noone could find on a map. Maybe a village in a desert that won't appreciate our efforts for a generation to come. Wherever, and whenever, they died is irrelevant. What matters is why they died; freedom. Yours and mine.
So heres my public "Thank You" to all of you who gave your life for me and my family.

Despite being from a family filled with veterans from most every war this century, and having many, many friends in uniform, I have never personally known anyone who died while in combat. Everyone came home, including my dad. I consider that a blessing. But you guys might know someone who didn't make it, so I would love to hear from anyone with a story or comment about what Memorial Day means to you.

Love God/Love Others,
Josh



No comments:

Post a Comment