Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rain

I love rain.  Really.  I love the sound it makes on the windows and on the roof, and even running down the gutters when its really coming down.  So this morning is pretty cool.  Its quiet, except for the rain, and I love it.  

But...

Have you ever stood at the window watching the rain come down, harder and harder, almost to the point where it looks like a solid wall of water, and thought about what Noah was looking at through the windows of the Ark?  (okay, it probably didn't have windows, but I bet he could hear.)   I mean, at some point, I bet Noah looked at his wife and said, "You know honey, this just might get nasty".  To which Misses Noah said  "Really?  You think so?"  (And for the record, I don't believe anyone in the Bible ever said "thou", "where art", or "thee".  You may disagree, its your right.)  
For forty days and nights it rained hard enough to cover the entire earth with water. The whole planet became one big lake, and everything was destroyed.  Everything except Noah, his family, that big boat, and the animals they took with them. (Oh, and when I meet Noah I plan to ask him why he wasn't more selective with those animals.  I mean rats???  Why'd you save rats? And scorpions?) 
 
Anyway, here's my point.  

What if God one day looked down and saw a world in need of another flood?  What if God decided that this world had become so wicked that he wiped it all away and started from scratch.  Would I be worthy of getting on the boat or would I be another person who failed to serve our Lord faithfully enough to get a ticket?  Unfortunately, I think I'd be swimming.  

That could get depressing, and slightly scary, if not for one very important fact.......Jesus. 

His sacrifice on the cross paid for our sins, (every man, woman and child on earth) so no flood would ever be necessary again.  Thats awesome, cause I love the rain to much to worry about floods when its coming down.    And thats just one more reason I think Jesus is Superman.

1 comment:

  1. Great Point!!  For me the rain is cleansing, it is my time to be with God to talk to him. I usually plan my runs for the rain, just to talk, today I have a bike in the rain!! It's funny how the first drop everybody runs for cover....then they look at me like I'm nuts.  If they only knew!!!  What better time to talk to God than when he is pouring down nourishment on us!

    ReplyDelete